Wowza, it’s been quite a while since I’ve posted a new recipe. Work has been keeping me busy and my outside-of-work life has been pretty packed as well. Now that I have a bit more free time I’m planning to get back on track with my one recipe per week deal.
I’ve mentioned before that I love fall, and all of the food/beverages that go along with it (hello sweet potatoes and apple cider!). This stew recipe is perfect for the crisp fall days here in Minnesota.
Curried Lentil, Squash, and Apple Stew
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 small carrots (4-5 inches long), peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup dried lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups peeled butternut squash
- 1 large unpeeled apple, diced
- 1 cup kale (mine was already cooked)
- Optional: 3-4 cups cooked brown rice
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots, and cook until they start to turn soft.
- Add the garlic, ginger, curry, and salt and cook for a few more minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, vegetable broth, and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and let the mixture simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Add the squash and apples, cover, and simmer for another 25 minutes or so.
- Stir in the kale and brown rice. Serve immediately.
I wanted a bit more texture so I decided to add brown rice to the mix. I love how the sweetness of the apples and squash balance out the curry in this recipe. SO. GOOD.
Source: Adapted from Chloe’s Kitchen (I checked this book out from the library and it’s AMAZING. I got a gift card for my birthday last week and went and ordered it from Amazon.)