I’ve had some beets in the refrigerator for quite a while now, and wanted to try something besides simply roasting them in the oven (even though they’re delicious prepared that way). I found a ton of recipes for beet salads of all kinds, but wasn’t feeling especially inspired by any of them. I found a few recipes for beet chips, but they called for deep frying them and I didn’t want to deal with the mess, so I stuck with a recipe that baked them instead. These are very easy to make and customize with whatever spices or flavors you desire.
Beet and Sweet Potato Chips
- 2-3 medium beets, scrubbed and thinly sliced
- 1 – 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- Other spices of your choosing (Thyme is good on sweet potatoes)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place sliced vegetables in a bowl, and add enough olive oil to lightly coat them. Add the salt, pepper, and other spices and stir to make sure all the pieces are coated.
- Place the beet and sweet potato slices on baking sheets. Cooking time really depends on how thinly sliced the beets and sweet potatoes are – mine took quite a long time because they were sliced thicker. I’d shoot for 10- 15 minutes to start, then check them. If they seem pretty close to being done, flip them over and bake for another 10-15 minutes. You want these nice and crispy. When the chips are done let them cool on cooling racks.
Source: Adapted from Cooking Light