Going on week three of the job hunt, and trying to do more cooking, even if it’s just throwing some stuff together for a quick dinner. That’s pretty much what I did last night, using some basic pantry staples and a few other ingredients to whip up a quick and delicious meal. You can sub other grains, protein, and/or greens in this recipe, adjusting cooking times as needed.
Quick Meal: Rice, Lentils, and Greens
Yield: Approximately two servings
- 1 cup brown rice (I used the instant kind)
- 1/2 cup pink lentils
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth, divided use
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 – 1 1/2 tbsp garlic scapes, minced
- one large handful of baby spinach ( or other leafy greens)
- Prepare rice as directed on box/bag, using vegetable broth in place of water. Set aside.
- Rinse and sort lentils, removing any rocks or debris. Pour lentils into a medium saucepan and add 1 to 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth. Simmer for 15-20 minutes,or until lentils have reached desired consistency.
- When lentils have about 5 minutes of cook time left, pour olive oil into small skillet. Add garlic scapes and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Combine rice, lentils, and spinach, and enjoy.
Source: My own culinary genius ; )