Though I’ve been quite busy, it’s been mostly laziness that’s kept me from cooking these past few weeks. I haven’t been feeling much culinary inspiration and haven’t wanted to put in the effort required to find recipes I like and go shopping for ingredients. I’m living with my parents during my VISTA term (which ends in like 5 weeks!!) which means that they do most of the grocery shopping, but I often (inconveniently) need ingredients right before or after their grocery trip.
When I first found this recipe I was intrigued, but also a little weirded out. I’ve pickled stuff before, but pickled shrimp just seemed so strange, perhaps because I’d never heard of it here in the good ol’ Midwest. I was going to try this recipe out at a party I hosted a few weeks back, but was unsure of how it would turn out and didn’t have all of the ingredients at the time. Well, I finally got around to trying it and it turned out great. The shrimp were bright and tart, and delicious. I’m sure they’ll taste even better after sitting in the fridge for the next few days (if they last that long).
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup capers with their juices
- 1 tbsp Mrs. Dash seasoning
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Splash of hot sauce
- 12 oz cooked shrimp (I used frozen shrimp and defrosted in cool water)
- In a large bowl, stir together all of the ingredients except for the shrimp.
- Add the shrimp and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least of 24 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve chilled..
Source: Adapted from the kitchn