It’s been a busy weekend, so I wanted to make something that was quick, easy, and that allowed me to skip a trip to the grocery store. Voila! Muffins.
Spiced Carrot Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray muffin tin or paper liners. I HIGHLY recommend using paper liners, and spraying them with cooking spray, as it makes it SO much easier to peel them off the muffins later.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- Add the sugar, applesauce, vanilla, and carrot, stirring until everything is just combined.
- Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full and bake for 18 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack.
Enjoy with a little cinnamon, sugar, and butter or vegan alternative.
Source: Slightly adapted from The Happy Herbivore by Lindsay S. Nixon