Happy St. Patrick’s Day! It’s fairly easy to find dairy-free dessert recipes these days, but not quite as easy to find St. Patrick’s Day dessert recipes that are dairy-free. I found a super easy recipe for macaroons, and decided to add a holiday touch by adding green food coloring and green sprinkles.
Yield: 8 cookies
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup whole almonds, chopped
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- a few drops of green food coloring
- green sprinkles
- pinch of coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use non-stick baking sheet, or spray regular baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg white. Stir in all of the remaining ingredients except the sprinkles.
- Form dough into eight 2-tablespoon mounds, and drop each onto baking sheet, 2 inches apart. Top with green sprinkles and bake until golden-brown on bottoms and edges, about 15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks, and let cool. Macaroons will keep, covered, for up to 1 week.
* I only had sweetened coconut, so I reduced the amount of sugar added.
These ended up oozing all over the pan while cooking. They still tasted good (very sweet!) but looked a bit messy.
Source: Adapted from Delish.com